Monday 7 September 2015

Hi Ho, Hi Ho...It's Off to Work We Go!

Well, tomorrow (Tuesday) is the first official day to be back to work! Of course, we get to "ease" into things by having a training workshop on Restitution for our entire school division. It will be great to see colleagues and catch up, but I'm sure that many people would rather have the time in their classrooms. Oh well...one of the nice things about doing this kind of training as a whole school/division is that everyone starts to use the same vocabulary and expressions, so it becomes so much more consistent for the kids! Maybe I will be able to find some time in the near future to talk a little bit more about this training.

On Wednesday, we will begin our day with a staff meeting, and then we can use the rest of the day to do whatever we need in our own classrooms...and Thursday, bring on the kids!

I have spent a lot of this summer planning for this next school year. I know that we are fortunate at our school to be able to go in pretty much any time throughout the summer, to either clean up from the previous year, set up for the next one, or even just to get a head start on the photocopying. Some times, I just like to go in on a Tuesday evening, when I know that no one else will be around, and I can be as anti-social focused as I want!

Today, I thought I would share a few pictures of my finished(?) space...I think I am ready for the challenges and adventure of a new year. There are so many changes in our school this year and hopefully with having everything in my own room ready to go, it will help me have the strength to deal with those other things!

This is the bulletin board just outside our classroom.
My kids will be making their own potato heads to add to it on their first day back!
One of our school division's goals involves Sustainable Development. I keep this bulletin board in the hallway up all year long, adding to it as we do things throughout the year!
I'm not sure how long my kids will keep this area so organized, but it looks good for now!
These cubbies let my kids store those bulky binders and portfolios out of the way.
I love how this space turned out! This summer I re-did my entire library...changing from the traditional, on the shelf, just sitting there system to labelled baskets based on themes. This is just one of my library shelves...there are two more here...Have I mentioned that I have a "slight" addiction to books? lol
This is my reading area. It also contains lots of non-fiction books and a variety of magazines.
This is part of our Writing area. It has some of the extra things that my kids can tackle in writing, while they are waiting for a conference with me, or for someone to help edit their other work.
Here is our Listening centre/charging station. I have lots of books on iPods (we have 6) and iPads (I have 3).
We have four computers in our classroom, as well as 2 laptops. We use them for some of our Listening to Reading, word processing, keyboard practice, researching, Math with Technology, and whatever else we can manage!
This is our schedule/calendar area. The pocket chart shows our daily schedule (which seems to get changed around a lot) with word and picture cues. The calendar keeps us informed with what is happening throughout the month.
(Don't mind the mess below it...lol...that is our Home Reading books, in plastic eavestroughs, hanging on the wall.)
Well, I suppose I should get this post published so that I can get to bed, and then get this year started! For those colleagues that are starting tomorrow too, good luck and I hope that everything goes smoothly for you as well! Have a great year!

Take care,

Tammy

0 comments:

Post a Comment